Wednesday, December 07, 2005

REVIEW! INVITE THEM UP - CD RELEASE PARTY - BOWERY BALLROOM - 12/6/05


How the hell can me, my blog, and my shitty photographs possibly do the Invite Them Up CD release party justice? They can't! So get ready for a shitty blow-by -motherfucking-blow!!

Bobby Tisdale! Eugene Mirman! OTHERS! From start to finish, this show had me roaring. The show kicked off with a couple of nice country/folk songs played by a band who included the Daily Show's own Ed Helms. I can't remember their name, but they were actually really good. Not jokey at all. As a matter of fact, that is the only part of the show I didn't laugh during. Following the musical intro, Bobby Tisdale came out and gave a more-hyper-than-usual opening that developed into one of the funniest pieces of theater ever. Seriously. Bobby Tisdale + Huge Flute + Craig Baldo + Huge Saxophone + Kenny G = Me Shitting My Pants.

Then, out came a guy with a bee beard who looked like 50% of the comic duo Slovin & Allen. Which 50% is none of your business. I'm allergic to bees so during his set I went and grabbed a beer. Following that act was the infamous Michael Showalter. Even though he obviously didn't have much to prepare for (he was simply reading from a literary magazine he was the editor of in High School) he fucking killed. There is nothing funnier than hearing melodramatic High School "I live in the suburbs but wish I had something to complain about" poetry read by Michael Showalter, especially when he's the author. And do you know who came out next!? You're right! Chelsea Peretti. She approached her task as comedienne of the evening by roasting Bobby and Eugene. I think roasts are pretty dumb, but like most people who don't hold too tightly to their convictions I found hers to be really fucking funny. Bobby wasn't laughing but Eugene was.

After Chelsea did her thing, Jon Glaser was supposed to come out. But he didn't. Instead, Bobby and Eugene brought out a 6 foot long sandwich that was sent to Bowery care of Jon Glaser. Also included was a letter penned by Mr. Glaser which Eugene read aloud while holding a picture of Jon Glaser in front of his face. The sandwich was unwrapped and the crowd was given a 10 minute intermission in which those hungry enough could make their way to the stage and grab a piece of that mammoth. The sandwich, not Eugene you jerk.

After intermission it was Eugene's time to shine. And shine he did. Not only did he show a fucking hilarious movie and do some great stand-up, but he even did a skit that involved a two real props! Legitimate theater dudes! At this point everyone's stomach hurt from all the food and laughing, so Bobby and Eugene smartly decided it was time for a musical act. I have to say, they assembled a goddamned dream band - MATTER OF TRUST. I cannot stop thinking about this shit. Here was the line-up. Jon Benjamin - Vocals, Jon Glaser - Bass, James McNew (Yo La Tengo) - Guitar, Todd Barry - Drums, AD Miles - Background Vocals, and Tom Shilue - Background Vocals. They basically covered the Billy Joel song "Matter of Trust" twice which may sound annoying to my loyal readers, but if you were there you would have keeled over. Jon Benjamin started the song with the signature "One, Two, One, Two, Three, Four." Goddamnit, I hate writing these shitty reviews because I never really portray how fucking great something was.

The show wrapped up with Demitri Martin and his signature acousti-comedy. I like Demitri, but he always does the same schtick so I wasn't too impressed. All the other comedians broke out of their usual ways of doing things, but Demitri was all samey and whatnot. He was still funny though! Don't get me wrong!

And that's about it friends. Oh, at one point they lowered a pinata that had cash in it of which I got 1 dollar. These dudes love their fans, and I love them. Oh, I almost forgot; they played an ITU tribute compilation video that included God's Pottery which was a real treat. One regret though. I bought Tisdale a 'congratulations' gift and forgot it at home. I am an asshole. Here is a shit load of pics!! It was easier for me to post them all, good and bad, than to just post the good ones, so be prepared to hate me.

INVITE THEM UP - CD RELEASE PARTY!
PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE |PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE |PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home