Friday, November 04, 2005

REVIEW! OPETH / NEVERMORE - WEBSTER HALL - 11/3/05



Goddamn. Metal is still alive and well in New York. In a city that increasingly alienates the poor and unfashionable, it is great to know that the right show will attract legions of long-haired metalheads into this city. Webster Hall was absolutely packed to the gills for last night's Opeth show. I got there at the start of Nevermore's set and was throwing up the devil horns and banging my head within seconds. Nevermore were absolutely fantastic. Their main guitar player was shredding so flawlessly and so brutally that I nearly decided to quit playing guitar altogether.

When Opeth went on, I thought the place would implode. One cannot accurately describe how fucking cranked the crowd was when Opeth came on. The energy in that venue was absolutely intense. It gave me the chills. But what can I say about their set that could accurately descibe its greatness? It left me speechless. They played for over 2 hours and I never once thought to myself "Geez, is this almost over or what?" The mix in the room was perfection. I have never heard double bass drums projected so well in such a large room. And their songs. Motherfuck. Absolutely anthemic masterpieces.

But the joy doesn't end there. I watched most of the show from the VIP balcony and while I was up there I met my biggest drummer idol of all time: MIKE PORTNOY FROM DREAM THEATER. The evening was absolute perfection. Here's some pics:
* Pics do not open in a new window *

OPETH
PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE |

1 Comments:

Blogger Dfactor said...

Thank goodness the 'metal sign' and 'devil horns' were being used in their proper context!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home