Monday, November 21, 2005

REVIEW! ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - WEBSTER HALL - 11/20/05


Last night I saw Animal Collective at Webster Hall and I still can't seem to figure out what the fuss is all about. The show was sold out way in advance and there were plenty of people outside trying their best to get tickets. But after seeing the show, I remain vexed as to what the fuss is all about.

To begin with, the two opening acts just stunk. I'm sorry. They were uninteresting, boring, and so stinkingly derivative of other bad and boring music that I just couldn't wait for it to end. The first band was a soft, slow, predictable folksy outfit that had zero appeal to me. The second band was just a noisy spazz-festival that lacked anything resembling cohesion. A couple of guys with keyboards and synthesizers and a couple of guys moaning into mics. They put on such a contrived show that had zero artistic or musical merit.

And then came Animal Collective. I had heard so many good things about this band that perhaps my expectations were just too high. I found them to be pretty boring and unnecessarily over-praised. Their onstage energy didn't match their sound at all; their energy level was high, but their music didn't pack even the slightest punch.

I give them an A+ for attracting such an incredibly enormous and loyal audience. It just wasn't for me though. Oh, and David Bowie was there which is pretty dope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home