Tuesday, November 08, 2005

REVIEW! SUPER FURRY ANIMALS - WEBSTER HALL - 11/5/05



Man, when I heard SFA cancelled their second NYC show because of a lack of ticket sales, I was a bit nervous. I dig their tunes, but having never seen them live I began to fear that maybe their live shows sort of blow and that the lack of ticket sales was the result of people not wanting to bother seeing them live. My fears were further reinforced when Caribou went on stage to a crowd of about 50 people. The place was empty. Even as Caribou's set ended and they were prepping the stage for SFA, the place was STILL empty.

But then, a few minutes before they started, I looked down at the crowd from my spot on the balcony area and noticed that the place was suddenly packed. I don't know how it happened, but in the blink of an eye the place went from empty to FULL. And I have to say, SFA put on one amazing show. The stage was flanked with projection screens that showed movies which essentially went along with the tunes. They started the show with a 45 minute set of slowish stuff and then bolted off stage. I thought the show was over and was a bit let-down. But then they came back out and did another, more amped 45-minute set that really utilized the projection screens and the fancy-schmancy lights that Webster Hall has. It was intense. The second set really kicked my ass. It was like watching 4th of July fireworks; they start out nice but pretty subdued, then after a short silence they unleash an earth shattering finale that leave you stunned. Oh, and their glow in the dark jumpsuits were stunning

Here's some pics:
* Pics do not open in a new window *

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS
PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE | PIC HERE |

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so cool, Jeff.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home