Thursday, November 17, 2005

REVIEW! ROBERT POLLARD of GBV - BOOK SIGNING - 11/17/05

Mentally, I carry around a list of a handful of my idols who I'd like to meet someday. In a matter of weeks, I've been able to scratch TWO people from that list. First it was the drummer from Dream Theater, Mike Portnoy. And tonight, it was ROBERT POLLARD from Guided By Voices.

Bob and author Jim Greer made it out to Barnes and Noble Chelsea NYC for a reading, discussion, book signing of Greer's book about the rise and fall of GBV. However, because of the immense amount of people who showed up, the event was reduced to a mere book signing. Neither author or performer uttered a single word. Luckily I got there at around 6:00pm and got a seat in the second row and had my book signed relatively quickly. I have to say that when it came to my turn I was absolutely petrified. For some reason, Bob had an almost God-Like effect on me which I did not expect. Ah, but he was so nice. When I got to him, he was warm and immediately greeted me with a firm, thoughtful handshake. He asked my name, signed my book "To Jeff, Love Robert Pollard" and, I shit you not, looked up at me like he recognized me. It was bizarre. All I could say was "Thanks a million for signing my book. It means a lot to me. I look forward to your new record and seeing you in the fall." To which he replied "Man, that's so nice. Thanks a lot for your support. It means a lot to me" to which he high fived me. And I left and met up with a bunch of old friends who I usually only see at GBV shows.

Oh, did I mention that I'm a dickhead? I forgot my digital camera and didn't get a picture with Bob. So many assholes took their time getting their pic taken with him. And then there's me, Mr. Asshole with a blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home