Monday, April 03, 2006

REVIEW! DREAM THEATER - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL - 4/1/06


(Above pic not from actual show)

On Saturday evening I checked out Dream Theater at Radio City Music Hall. A show of that calibur and scope is really difficult, for me at least, to review and I am sure there are hundreds of great reviews online at the moment that are better than anything I'd come up with. Dream Theater fans are dedicated and more often than not extremely intelligent people so I won't waste time competing with their insight.

But I do have a few comments for the curious and those who like stream of conscious writing. First off, I had a seat in the tenth row towards the left and couldn't have been happier. I am slightly taller than a lot of people so it was no problem getting a clear and unobstructed view of the stage from where I was. I thought the addition of the orchestra for the second set was incredible. A lot of people are complaining that the orchestra couldn't be heard, but I thought they sounded clear and wonderful. There were a few moments when James Labrie's voice didn't quite hit those high notes. I can forgive him for this considering he's been doing it for 20 years, but I am a little nervous it won't work well for the DVD they were recording. Speaking of the DVD.... at one point John Petrucci's guitar cut out for literally a few minutes. Again, this makes me nervous for the DVD. I am wondering if they will have to re-record that part for the DVD. It will sound quite ridiculous with that gap. Oh, and I missed out on getting a Radio City shirt. Sadness. There were a lot fewer digital cameras and cell phones in the air during the show thank god.... I had a phenominal time. And that's all

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home