Sunday, September 17, 2006

COMEDIANS OF COMEDY - IRVING PLAZA
9/15/06 - HOLY SHIT




This year's Comedians of Comedy show at Irving Plaza pretty much blew last year's show away. The line-up this year included Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Eugene Mirman, and Morgan Murphy. But what put this show over the top was the insane roster of special guest which included David Cross, Nick Swardson, Jon Benjamin, and, one of my personal favorites, Jon Glaser (as Johnny Dingdong).

Here's a quick recap that will never do the show justice. The show ran flawlessly but to the dismay of the staff at Irving Plaza went more than 30 minutes over. This was my first time seeing Morgan Murphy and, in addition to thinking I've found my soul mate, may have found a new top 3 comic. I found her super-dry and monotone delivery too charming for words. Eugene as usual tore it up with a few great bits and what will no doubt be regarded as one of his greatest videos ever. Jon Glaser has got to be one of the greatest characters in comedy today. Every time I see him, he is doing a different character. On Friday he came out comedian Johnny Dingdong, a toe-headed stand-up comedian who essentially makes fun of the audience and eats a 12-inch sub. You had to be there, but it was absolutely hilarious. The show then segued into what for me was probably one of the strongest parts of the evening. David Cross came out and entertained us with about 15 minutes of stand-up before giving up the stage to Jon Benjamin who, as it turned, out was a no show. From there it turned into a very Mr. Show-esque video/live action bit where David and Jon Benjamin took turns being on stage or on the video alternately. Brian and Patton closed things off; Posehn lumbering around the stage with a shitload of great material followed by Patton with a ton of new bits.

After that I got invited to the afterparty at B-Sides, and that is really where the night began. B-Sides was jam packed with my favorite comedians. I basically spent my time in the back sitting with Patton, his wife, Brian Posehn, and Scott Ian from Anthrax. While we were back there drinking Rheingold and shots of Whisky, we were visited by the likes of David Cross, Eugene Mirman, Morgan Murphy, Chris Parnell, and Demitri Martin. I was in hog heaven. Luckily I was drunk as a skunk and felt no sense of shame or nervousness. Here are some pics from the evening:

Patton Oswalt
Morgan Murphy
Eugene Mirman
David Cross
David Cross and Jon Benjamin I
David Cross and Jon Benjamin II
Me, Eugene Mirman, Morgan Murphy, Patton Oswalt
Scott Ian, David Cross, Brian Posehn
Scott Ian, Brian Posehn, Me, Patton Oswalt

2 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

hey man
i was at the show too. fucking awesome.
this is the gayest thing i could possibly say, but
check out my myspace blog about it

blog.myspace.com/whattheballs
scroll down

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish I knew about the B-sides thing. I was at that show too, it was great. Dig you pics!

Patton Oswalt is a Comic God. Even when he grabs on to your junk.

Maybe especially then.

Cheers,
D'Artagnan

PS - A little birdy told me you should stop by B-sides on Halloween night...

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home