Monday, March 05, 2007

AN ENDORSEMENT
Comedian Tom Shillue


Photo taken from Drink at Work



I have a pretty solid roster of absolute favorite comedians that never changes. Todd Barry, David Cross, Patton Oswalt, Eugene Mirman, and Zach Galifianakis are members of a top 5 that will probably never change. It is my personal Mount Rushmore (+1). Unless one of these guys becomes a mass murderer or rapist, this list will never change.

But lately a comedian is threatening to potentially jeopardize the solid foundation of my top 5 favorites; comedian Tom Shillue.

Over the years, I've seen Shillue perform so many times that I can't even count. Each time I've seen him, I don't think I've ever heard the same routine twice. But I've happened to see him 5 or 6 times in just over a month and he has managed to take a prominant place in my comedy consciousness. Besides Louis CK he is the only comedian out there that can discuss married life and fatherhood without making me want to suffocate myself with a plastic bag. Though much less blue than CK, his bits on adulthood are so goddamned funny and well articulated that I'm reminded of the monologuing skills of Spalding Gray, only MUCH funnier.

I do realize, though, that I might be slightly drawn to him beacuse of his Massachusetts upbringing which shines through in almost every performance. As a fellow Masshole, a performance from Shillue is sometimes like a performance from a friend's uncle.

He's absolutely hilarious, he's clean, he's engaging, and he's a master storyteller. He is one of the biggest threats to those sitting in my top 5. Rushmore shouldn't expect any refacing yet, but I cannot guarantee that after a few more Shillue experiences.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dfactor said...

Klaus - Thanks for the tip. He's got a bit of a Conan thing happening, yeah? Though the clip at his site:
http://www.tomshillue.com/media.html
is likely not his best bit. But you've intrigued me to check out his more grownup material.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home