Thursday, March 01, 2007

BRO'IN OUT WITH LEO AND TONY
UCB Theater 2/19/07, with Martha Plimpton, Zach Galifianakis, Demetri Martin, and The Last Car

Photo by Marianne Ways


Thumbs up indeed, Demetri.

Bro'In Out With Leo and Tony is easily one of the best comedy programs New York City has to offer. The variety of talent they have each month is truly mind boggling; from comedians and writers, to musicians and legitimate theatrical actors, this show is enough to knock anyone's ass off. This week started off with Demetri Martin. By this point in my week, this was my third time seeing him and was afraid I'd hear some all too familiar material. However, Demetri did exactly what one is supposed to do at Bro'In Out; he simply Broed out. He was funny, relaxed, and totally fucking ON.

Next up was Martha Plimpton who, besides Zach, was one of the main reasons for really wanting to see this show. I'm a big fan of hers as she truly is a world class actress. From plays to movies, she does everything so incredibly well. She's part of a rare breed of actor who is versatility personified. And she was such an asset to Bro'In Out! Not only was she plain fucking hilarious, but she was so energetic and engaging that I wanted to hear her talk for much much longer. I really hope to see her in this type of setting again as I really can't afford to see her in The Coast Of Utopia. By the by, this wasn't the first time she did a show at UCB.

Zach Galifianakis followed Martha and was his usual, dead-pan self. When he spoke he was pretty funny, but I felt that Demetri, Martha, Jawnee, and Tony (not so much Leo) were talking over him a bit. I don't know if this was intentional, or if it bothered Zach, but I felt that his time slot on the show was a bit wasted. Although, the banter that was interrupting and talking over him was really goddamned entertaining.

The night ended with the sweet harmonies of The Last Car, who were really great.

All in all, it was probably the best Bro'In Out I've ever been to. Come to think of it, they've been getting progressively better each month. Which means that this month's show could be lethal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home